DELL Intel PRO Wireless 3945 ABG

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jan 1 16:24:40 PST 2007

> Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 22:08:04 +0100
> From: "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku at kukulies.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 12:45:37PM -0600, Scott Lambert wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 07:28:43PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > > Does FreeBSD-mobile still live? I saw little posts in the recent past.
> > > Any chance to get FreeBSD working on my Dell Inspiron 9400 with
> > > an Intel PRO Wireless 3945 ABG adapter?
> >
> > Yes, it lives.  Lots of people have found non-computer things to do on
> > New Year's Day.
> >
> > My impression, and experience, is that you can get just about any
> > network interface working with FreeBSD.  If the FreeBSD drivers don't
> > support your particular card, investigate the NDIS driver which loads
> > the Windows network device driver via a compatibility layer.  It worked
> > great on my old Compaq Presario's Broadcom wireless part in 5.x.
> >
> > man ndis
> > man ndiscvt
> >
> > I haven't used the NDIS driver since FreeBSD 5.2.  Some of the steps
> > involved have probably changed and I've forgotten a lot of the details.
> > You do not have to recompile your kernel.  It's not tough.
>
> Thanks. I lost the other response where the iwi driver found mention.
>
> So I'm replying here.
>
> kldstat
>
> kernel
> if_iwi.ko
> firmware.ko
> acpi.ko
>
> I see no interface to configure. There doesn't seem to be a device iwi0 or wi0.
> I'd prefer to use a native driver.

Try pciconf -lv to see what you have. It may be the newer Intel 3945
card. If it's an A/B/G card, this is far most likely.

There is currently no driver in FreeBSD for the 3945, but work is in
progress and a driver that works for many people is available. It's wpi
and you can look at the archives for a pointer to it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)