DELL Intel PRO Wireless 3945 ABG

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Mon Jan 1 11:07:09 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 07:28:43PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Does FreeBSD-mobile still live? I saw little posts in the recent past.
> Any chance to get FreeBSD working on my Dell Inspiron 9400 with
> an Intel PRO Wireless 3945 ABG adapter?

Yes, it lives.  Lots of people have found non-computer things to do on
New Year's Day.

My impression, and experience, is that you can get just about any
network interface working with FreeBSD.  If the FreeBSD drivers don't
support your particular card, investigate the NDIS driver which loads
the Windows network device driver via a compatibility layer.  It worked
great on my old Compaq Presario's Broadcom wireless part in 5.x.

man ndis
man ndiscvt

I haven't used the NDIS driver since FreeBSD 5.2.  Some of the steps
involved have probably changed and I've forgotten a lot of the details.
You do not have to recompile your kernel.  It's not tough.

lambert at lambertfam.org