external flatscreen with Thinkpad T42

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Sun Feb 25 00:39:06 UTC 2007

> > (As Peter Jeremy had also suggested) I had already looked at
> > Xorg.0.log prior to my initial email and I know mine
> > (2378-DUU) does higher res than 1024x768 for external
> > displays.  I think what is happening is Xorg thinks both
> > displays are on at the same time and chooses a common
> > resolution.  It does detect two 'CRTs' and also what each can
> > do.  Specifying 'screen 1' results in no display whatsoever.
> > So I am onto something:-)
> I run SuSE Linux on my T42 (this is work laptop and I am not given much
> choice). Only way I have found so far to reliably use external monitor
> (in my case -- projector) is to power it on and keep hitting Fn-F7 until
> BIOS screen shows up on the projector.

An update on this.

I finally managed to get an external 1680x1050 display work
at full res. with a T42.  Since my T42 display is dead, I am
using just the external one but during my experiments I was
able to use it in dual-head mode though no idea how the
internal display fares.  And I didn't have to play any games
with Fn-F7 or keeping the lid closed or anything.

Even DRI works fine.  Now the only problem is mplayer -vo xv
shows a blue screen when I try to play a DVD (but does with
with -vo x11).

Orig. xorg file plagiarised from http://mg.pov.lt/xorg.conf

Let me know if anyone wants my changes.