Verizon V620 wireless card

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Mon Feb 5 23:15:39 UTC 2007

> ucom0: Novatel Wireless Inc. Novatel Wireless Merlin CDMA, rev 1.10/0.00,
> addr 2
> ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED
> ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED
> (lots more STALLED messages)

John,

just added myself to mobile@ (thanks for cross-posting this to usb@
so I got notice of this discussion).

If you're using the V620 (or any other (W-)CDMA) card with ppp, you
should make sure you're using:

set cd 30! (note the exclamation mark at the end)

I've seen _a lot_ of problem reports (not just with FreeBSD) where
ppp does not recognize a connection loss when using W-CDMA cards.
The exclamation mark forces ppp into waiting for a carrier and
following that CD signal.

I suspect your problems might come from a bad signal. I don't know
much about the V620 (just that it's only used in nothern america)
but if it's a high-speed card (transfer rate > 56k, 3G mode?) you
should force your card into GPRS or 3G mode.

By default W-CDMA cards are trying to auto detect the best signal
reception and that might cause often signal loss due to band change.

If you know how to force the card into one or the other mode, please
use that in ppp's init string. If you don't know it, you may try the
commands for the U630 (I guess both cards are using the same command
set). You may find a bit info about the U630 at:
http://bsd.vwsoft.com/3g/merlin_u630.html

Please note the U630 is serial-over-PCMCIA and not usb so the
hardware is not the same. I thought the V620 is also
serial-over-PCMCIA but it seems you proved me wrong. ;)

Greetings,

Volker