AMD Turion64 X2 works with PowerNow! thank you Bruno

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Mon Feb 5 13:58:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 08:46:27PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-Jan-24 19:48:28 +0100, Bruno Ducrot wrote:
> >acpi_throttle is broken ATM on your machine.  BTW if you boot with
> >hint.apic.0.disabled="1"
> >into /boot/loader.conf
> >does this solve the acpi_throttle issue?
>
> No.  hint.apic.0.disabled makes no difference to me:
> hint.powernow.0.disabled has no effect (powernow0 still attaches) and
> throttling can still cause random lockups unless acpi_throttle is
> disabled.

Thanks for your report.  In order to disable powernow, you shouldn't
load the cpufreq kernel module, or don't compile your kernel
with the device cpufreq.

The cpufreq.ko is a bundlle of different hw drivers related to
cpufreq, but without the acpi specfic ones, those being acpi_throttle and
acpi_perf and they are included into acpi.ko.

After that check, you want to go back to powernow enabled and without
acpi_throttle, since powernow ofer way much more power saving than
throttling.

Cheers,

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.