My wireless is borked, dmesg only shows ath_hal

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Apr 21 21:12:46 UTC 2007

> Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 21:09:18 +0400
> From: das <dasreine at list.ru>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Rob wrote:
> > Here is the only line in my dmesg related to anything wireless:
> >
> > ath_hal: 0.9.20.3 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413,
> > RF5413)
> >
> > No ath0, wlan, etc.
> >
> > I am using a variant of the GENERIC kernel config file:
> >

> > # Wireless NIC cards
> > device		wlan		# 802.11 support
> > device		wlan_wep	# 802.11 WEP support
> > device		wlan_ccmp	# 802.11 CCMP support
> > device		wlan_tkip	# 802.11 TKIP support
> > device		an		# Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
> > device		ath		# Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
> > device		ath_hal		# Atheros HAL (Hardware Access Layer)
> > device		ath_rate_sample	# SampleRate tx rate control for ath
> > device		awi		# BayStack 660 and others
> > device		ral		# Ralink Technology RT2500 wireless NICs.
> > device		wi		# WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.
> > #device		wl		# Older non 802.11 Wavelan wireless NIC.
> >

> > I am wondering what is happening?  This laptop is a newer Sony VIAO
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rob

> I was very sad 5 Months ago when I could not get Freebsd to work with
> this Intel wireless card myself and installed Fedora linux instead. Does
> the NDIS (project evil) driver really work with this card, I had read
> somewhere that it did not (or that it did not work well) and so did not
> bother to try it.

I have yet to see a report that this card will work with NDIS. I'd say
the odds are not good. It has worked in the past with the WPI driver,
but there is new firmware that has a different API, so the code is being
updated.

Last report was that it was being actively worked, so I HOPE to see a
working wpi with firmware in the next month or two.

You can Google 'wpi freebsd" (dont include the quotation marks!) for
pointer so the older wpi drivers which MAY work in 6.2 and reports on
the work in progress to update the driver.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)