iwi bricks my T43 on boot

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sun Sep 24 11:45:23 PDT 2006

On Sunday 24 September 2006 17:57, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> I have IBM T43 notebook with this wireless internal card:
>
> iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG> mem 0xa8401000-0xa8401fff irq 11
> at device 2.0 on pci4
>
> The problem is FreeBSD bricks my notebook on boot sometime. After I've
> turned rc.d debugging on I see it hangs after ifconfig_up: iwi0
> operation. It happens quite rarely when I use a power supply and very
> often when my notebook boots on battery.

This rather sound like a hardware problem - a power consumption spike the
battery can't provide anymore or something, but let's see ...

> The problem has appeared when a new driver for ipw/iwi was introduced.
>
> A fresh CURRENT here. When the problem was firstly arised it was 6.0.

The new driver has never been in 6.0.

> Because my notebook bricked I can't get a core dump or a debugger.
>
> Any hints please how can I get more info on this?

Can you make sure you have a complete debugging kernel with WITNESS
enabled?  Setting debug.iwi could also reveal what's going on.
Unfortunately it's only a sysctl, not a tuneable, so you'd have to change
the default in sys/dev/iwi/if_iwi.c line 88 by hand and recompile your
kernel/module.  By the way, are you using iwi built in or as a module?
Do you load it via loader.conf or on demand from rc.d/*?

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org