Thinkpad T60 with Atheros Wifi

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 22 15:56:15 PDT 2006

Richard Arends wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did some research for the Thinkpad T60 because I want to order
> one. The included wifi card (Intel 3945) is not (yet) supported by
> FreeBSD.
>
> But, one of the listed Thinkpad options is "ThinkPad 11a/b/g
> Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter" with partnumber 40Y7026.
> Searching the net i found an article (http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=27043&sid=3e47ebfdf7d193b263bca866c5c7c9ed)
> that's telling me that it's an Atheros AR5006EX with the AR5423
> chipset.
>
> Does anybody know if that card is by accident :) supported by the
> ath(hal) driver?

It certainly should be. I'm very interested in your results, since I'm
planning to order that card either from lenovo (currently 15 days out
of stock) or possibly from PCD Global (anyone have experience with
them?). From the research I've done, the 5423 is the most advanced
Atheros chip available with a/b/g in the mini-pci express form factor.
If anyone can prove me wrong, or point to another vendor that sells an
Atheros card with this chip, or the 5424, I'd appreciate it.

Doug