Xorg (i810) freezes randomly when using hardware accel

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Wed Sep 20 13:28:14 PDT 2006

Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> was heard to say:

> I have pretty much the same setup with a Samsung notebook:
> Centrino, 915GM chipset, FreeBSD RELENG_6 (which is now
> 6.2-PRERELEASE), Xorg 6.9.0, i810 driver.  I have never
> experienced freezes.

Is there anything interesting in your Xorg setup? My relevant xorg.conf sections
look like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "truei810"
    Driver      "i810"
    VideoRam    131072
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "truei810"
    Monitor     "glare"
    DefaultDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x800"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

> If all X-related processes are gone, can you restart the X
> server?  What happens if you try?

No. It doesn't show up in the process list, so I assume it exits with an error
right away.

> Obviously, what seems to happen is that the X server dies
> in an uncontrolled way (e.g. due to a fatal signal), so it
> doesn't have a chance to restore text mode.  Does it write
> a core dump?  Are there any hints in the corg log file?

There is no core file. However, Xorg.0.log shows the following:

Error in I830WaitLpRing(), now is 551900, start is 549899
pgetbl_ctl: 0x3ffc0001 pgetbl_err: 0x0
ipeir: 0 iphdr: 1810000
LP ring tail: fe08 head: fd64 len: 1f801 start 0
eir: 0 esr: 0 emr: ffff
instdone: ffc0 instpm: 0
memmode: 108 instps: f0000
hwstam: ffff ier: 0 imr: ffff iir: 0
space: 130900 wanted 131064

FatalError re-entered, aborting
lockup

Does that "space" line indicate that I'm running out of shared memory? I removed
the VideoRam setting in xorg.conf but this didn't help either.

> Maybe you should also try to ask for help on an Xorg
> mailing list, as the problem might not be FreeBSD-specific.

True. I tried to reproduce the problem using a Linux live CD, but I couldn't get
one that plays mpg or wmv files. This would have told me whether it is specific
to FreeBSD.

> You could try to log in on the text console (blindly) and
> type "vidcontrol 80x25" to reset the standard text mode.
> If you log in via ssh, you must redirect stdin so it uses
> the right text console (you need to be root for this):
> "vidcontrol 80x25 </dev/ttyv0".

I can indeed log in blindly. When running "who" from a remote login the
additional logins show up. Unfortunately vidcontrol doesn't help. All that ever
happened was that the screen went from all white to all black.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
markus.hoenicka at cats.de
(Spam-protected email: replace the quadrupeds with "mhoenicka")
http://www.mhoenicka.de