Anyone using thinkpad R series?

Michal Mertl mime at traveller.cz
Mon Sep 18 15:17:29 PDT 2006

Doug Barton wrote:
> Still poking around the laptop issue, and I'm wondering if anyone has
> experience (good, bad, ugly) with the thinkpad R series. Specifically
> I'm looking at the R60 atm. The problem I'm having is to find the
> right combination of features. I don't really want a wide screen,
> which rules out the Z series. The T series doesn't have any compatible
> combinations of fast processors and non-ATI x1nnn cards (which I
> understand are badly/not supported in X). The X series are nice, but I
> don't think I could live with the tiny screen, and I really want the
> faster processor.
>
> That leaves the R series, but I don't really recall too many people
> posting about them, so I can't help wondering if there is something
> fundamentally wrong here.

I have been using R51 for with FreeBSD for about 2 years. It works very
well (except suspend to RAM consumes power almost as if the machine was
running no matter what I do and the optical drive is crap (I have 4th
and it doesn't work again!)). I don't think the current models have much
in common anymore so it is probably not much relevant.

Michal