Experience with Dell Latitude D620?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 27 23:37:40 UTC 2006

Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Doug Barton writes:
> | Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> | > The _2_ version is supposed to be 64-bit.  I waiting to get such
> | > a laptop from work with a 19.2x12 screen.  I will be using
> | > it in 64bit mode and compiling for both 32bit and 64bit stuff.
> | > Since the other 64bit variants work Celeron etc. I would expect
> | > the mobile version to just work.
> |
> | It does, thanks! My only regret so far is that the nvidia drivers
> | don't have a 64 bit version, but the box and video card are fast
> | enough so that isn't really a problem. I'm pleasantly surprised that
> | so far all of my ports work in 64 bit mode as well.
>
> That was my experience with the nvidia stuff before :-(
>
> FYI, it should be trival to jail/chroot 32bit env. on your 64bit host.
>
> I should merge some of the make/env. bits from -current to -stable.
> I'll do it after 6.2 is out.  I'm thinking about make a general
> purpose way to create an image and jump into it.  We have it at
> work and as a proof of concept.  I created a 32bit environment on
> a 64bit host and did port built and package add in there of Linux
> stuff.

Eeek, I didn't know that linux stuff wouldn't work, thanks. The thing
I use it for most often is acroread, what do people use to view pdfs
in 64-bit land? I just tried epdfview, and it was about 50% successful.

As for your other stuff, I was planning to give qemu a try to run both
windows, and other versions of FreeBSD in a 64-bit 7-current host OS.
I also like your idea of doing the chroot environment, that might be a
lighter weight solution for day to day stuff. Are you going to write
up what you've done?

Doug