ACPI Problems: IRQ conflicts on USB controllers and SATA controller

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Oct 12 19:57:16 UTC 2006

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday 12 October 2006 12:42, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>> I have dumped dmesg and other stuff with different options at boot,
>> since this is pretty verbose I've placed it on my website:
>>
>> boot -v:
>>
>> http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/dmesg-GENERIC-v
>> http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/sysctl-GENERIC-v
>> http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/pciconf-GENERIC-v
>> http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/lspci-GENERIC-v
>> http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/vmstat-GENERIC-v
>
> Nothing here looks wrong.  Can you break into the debugger when the box
> locks up?

The box freezes when apic is disabled but pci_link is enabled. In the
above case, both apic and pci_link are enabled, this sucks out resources
of the box with 85% cpu on interrupt handling.

I will try to see if I can get the debugger when apic is disabled and
pci_link enabled.

>> boot -v, acpi disabled:
>
> Doesn't detect APIC.  BIOS is too dumb to provide $PIR.  That's a new
> low for incompetence on the part of BIOS writers.

Strange - is ACPI required on this box to find APIC? Sounds wierd when
they are both enabled they each seem to fight for control over the
devices...

>> boot -v, apic disabled:
>>
>> http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/dmesg-GENERIC-v-no_apic
>
> The problem here is (again) really stupid BIOS writers.  Maybe they can't
> read.  Edit your ASL to change the resources to say that IRQ 10 (which
> the BIOS assigns) is ok instead of IRQ 11.  You can probably get by just
> with fixing LNKD's resource:
>
>                 Device (LNKD)
>                 {
>                     Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0F"))
>                     Name (_UID, 0x04)
>                     Method (_DIS, 0, Serialized)
>                     {
>                         Store (0x80, PDRC)
>                     }
>
>                     Name (_PRS, ResourceTemplate ()
>                     {
>                         IRQ (Level, ActiveLow, Shared)
> {1,3,4,5,6,7,11,12,14,15}
>                     })
>
> Replace the '11' here with '10' and update it.  In fact, you should
> fix the ones with IRQ's '10' and '12' to list '10' and '11' instead
> and the ones with '11' and '12' to list '10' and '11' instead.
>
> 12 is used by your PS/2 mouse/trackpad, so it isn't suitable.

Thanks I will try that. I'm new on this, will loading a custom ASL
overwrite the existing permanently? I mean, I'm kind of worried that I
mess up and have a box that can't boot at all.

Secondly, I see there is nothing on IRQ9 in the ASL, yet I have an
interrupt storm on IRQ9 also, should 9 be added to the list above?

Finally, previously I solved the interrupt storm on IRQ5 by setting
hw.pci6.10.INTA.irq=5 in the loader.conf, can this be corrected in the
ASL also?

Thanks, I hope your advice will solve the remaining problems.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt