ACPI Problems: IRQ conflicts on USB controllers and SATA controller

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Oct 12 16:46:07 UTC 2006

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday 12 October 2006 09:07, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have previously written about my buggy Sony VAIO (FJ3S) and some
>> problems was resolved.
>>
>> In brief:
>>
>> I have IRQ conflicts on the USB controllers causing two controllers to
>> be non-functional:
>
> Can you put a verbose dmesg (boot -v) from a boot with APIC enabled?

OK, I have updated source and rebuilt kernel just to make sure, sorry I
forgot to mention that I'm on RELENG_6.

The only reliable boot is with apic and pci_link disabled. Otherwise I
may have to boot multiple times before the system comes up correctly,
and when it fails this may not always happen at the same place: I may
get an infinite loop of AcpiEvGpeDispatch errors or it may hang after
finding disks or when gathering entropy.

I have dumped dmesg and other stuff with different options at boot,
since this is pretty verbose I've placed it on my website:

boot -v:

http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/dmesg-GENERIC-v
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/sysctl-GENERIC-v
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/pciconf-GENERIC-v
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/lspci-GENERIC-v
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/vmstat-GENERIC-v

boot -v, acpi disabled:

http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/dmesg-GENERIC-v-no_acpi
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/sysctl-GENERIC-v-no_acpi
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/pciconf-GENERIC-v-no_acpi
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/lspci-GENERIC-v-no_acpi
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/vmstat-GENERIC-v-no_acpi

boot -v, apic disabled:

http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/dmesg-GENERIC-v-no_apic
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/sysctl-GENERIC-v-no_apic
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/pciconf-GENERIC-v-no_apic
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/lspci-GENERIC-v-no_apic
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/vmstat-GENERIC-v-no_apic

boot -v, apic disabled, pci_link disabled:

http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/dmesg-GENERIC-v-no_apic_pcilink
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/sysctl-GENERIC-v-no_apic_pcilink
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/pciconf-GENERIC-v-no_apic_pcilink
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/lspci-GENERIC-v-no_apic_pcilink
http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/vmstat-GENERIC-v-no_apic_pcilink

Also, there is the ASL dump:

http://www.locolomo.org/src/acpi/sony.asl

> Also, did you try with just ACPI disabled (but leaving APIC enabled).

Yes, in that case the wireless (iwi) won't come up correctly.

Thanks, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt