HP OmniBook 5500CT and PC Card controller with FreeBSD 6.1?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Fri May 26 08:25:52 PDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006 18:04:21 +1000
Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:

> Actually, you've got 2:  You could run PPP over the serial port or
> PLIP over the parallel port.  (The latter can be very hard on both
> hosts).

Well, I don't consider those "easy" ways anymore. I have tried (several
years ago) to get plip working, without success.
In the past, I have been quite accustomed to using ppp for Internet
access, but I have never succeded in setting up ppp over serial for
installing FreeBSD. And as years go by, with broadband access, my
knowledge of serial / ppp setups fades away... :-)

> This isn't listed in the cbb(4) supported devices.  It looks like it
> was only supported by OLDCARD and so it doesn't exist in 5.x and
> later. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to implement support.

I see that the PD6729  is listed in the pcic(4) man page, so I was
hoping that there were just some tweaking needed.
One thing I know (from running ¤.x on the machine) is that it needs irq
11 for the pc card controller to work.
Anyway, if anyone is game for it, I will do all the testing required.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,