FreeBSD 6 on Toshiba Tecra A4

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun May 21 04:59:01 PDT 2006

On Sun, 21 May 2006, Yousef Raffah wrote:

 > On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 01:53 +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
 > > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:45:49 +0300
 > > Yousef Raffah <yraffah at savola.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > > ACPI not working (working on Linux)
 > >
 > > doesn't work on my A2 either (does work, but the HD doens't realise it has gone
 > > to sleep and resumed and panic ensues on resume). disable acpi and use apm,
 > > works fine.
 > Hi,
 >
 > I have disabled acpi and enabled apm in my kernel as
 > # Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
 > device          apm
 > # Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
 > device          pmtimer
 >
 > This what happens when I run apmd in debug mode:
 >
 > # apmd -d -v
 > apmd[15918]: start
 > apmd: cannot open device file `/dev/apm': No such file or directory
 >
 > How can I have /dev/apm?

On 5.x at least, /boot/device.hints contains

 hint.apm.0.disabled="1"
 hint.apm.0.flags="0x20"

So you'll likely need to add to /boot/loader.conf:

 hint.apm.0.disabled="0"
 hint.apm.0.flags="0"     # assuming a non-broken statclock

Then early in your dmesg.boot you should see such as

 apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
 apm0: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

and both /dev/apm and /dev/apmctl should appear.

In rc.conf:

 apm_enable="YES"
 apmd_enable="YES"
 apmd_flags="-v"

cheers, Ian

 > Using 6.1-RC FreeBSD 6.1-RC #0: Sat Apr 29 17:16:15 AST 2006
 >
 > This is my dmesg:

[..]