Laptop dead, suggestions?

Anish Mistry mistry.7 at osu.edu
Mon May 15 19:59:23 PDT 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 22:14, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anish Mistry wrote:
> > On Monday 15 May 2006 16:12, Warner Losh wrote:
> >
> > I've got a 4 year old Fujitsu 2110 P-Series, (running -CURRENT)
> > it
>
> I have an P2120 but
>
> > gets excellent battery life and is small and light.  The P-7000's
> > are
>
> my battery life with 5.2 was so low, at least compared to XP, that
> I moved back to XP.
For me normal battery life is about the same, but I'm normally not
using Windows when it's unplugged.

> Does hibernation work?
Yes, but there is still some strange drain while suspend issues that I
can't seem to figure out.

> What are the tricks I missed?
You'll probably want to apply the acpi_video dpms patch that has been
floating around.  It will mitigate some of the extra drain while
suspending issues.  I don't suspend much anyway so for me it's not
much of a problem but I'd really like to figure it out.  I think the
suspend issue might be specific to the 2110, as I haven't heard
anyone with a 2120 with that problem.
ataidle also helps, to shut off the HD while it is idle.  If you're
not using USB, Cardbus, firewire, etc don't load it, and make sure to
twiddle the pci power state sysctl.

If you give it a go again, I'd love to know if your system exhibits
the power drain while suspended.  eg.  In windows I can leave the
laptop suspended for a day with only a percent or two drop, but in
FreeBSD after 24 hours suspended the battery will be drained.  I'm
pretty sure it's a driver issue, but without all the docs for the
components it's difficult to actually do anything about it.

--
Anish Mistry