change in iwi-firmware operation

Wilde, Donald dwilde at sandia.gov
Mon May 15 06:44:46 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Altpeter [mailto:frank at altpeter.de]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 7:25 AM
To: Wilde, Donald
Cc: freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: change in iwi-firmware operation

Hi there,

Wilde, Donald wrote on 2006-05-15 at 15:12:13 CEST:
> Hi, All -
>
> I have a Centrino (2200G) equipped Dell Inspiron 6000, and had it
> working reasonably well with the iwi firmware.
>
> I just updated to the version in ports as of a few days ago, and
> discovered that the firmware won't stay firm.

Sure. The firmware is not permanent. It must be loaded on boot every
time ...
I'm running ipw which provides an ipw.sh startup script in
$PREFIX/etc/rc.d which has to enabled with ipw_enable="YES" - i assume
the same fits for iwi driver...
=

Thanks for the pointer, Frank,

Hmmm. Kinda defeats the meaning of 'firmware', and I'm going to start
worrying about write-cycles of the FLASH. Dunno what's in a Centrino
system, (anybody?) although it's likely Intel NOR FLASH, which should be
good for 100K-cycles. Even so, WHY would one need to load FLASH every
boot?

No, the iwi.sh did not get installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, although I
did have iwi_enable="YES" in rc.conf. Either that, or the nice little
helpful routine in mergemaster cleaned it out for me as one of those
"old" scripts that can cause "Very Bad Things" to happen...

--
Don Wilde    Org 01737    505-844-1126
 I didn't get a toy train like the other kids. I got a toy subway