keyboard does not work in kernel space

Anders Nordby anders at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 10 10:22:39 PDT 2006

Hi,

It's a known problem. I reported it to Maksim Yevmenkin (author of kbdmux),
who confirmed it.

Workaround is to disable GEOM_ELI in your kernel, make sure you don't
load it in loader.conf either, and instead add the disk/slice you want
to attach to in geli_devices in /etc/rc.conf. Then you'll be asked to
enter the passphrase from userland, which will be fine.

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 06:41:17PM +0200, Sebastiaan van Erk wrote:
> I just got a new Inspiron 9400 laptop and was trying to do full disk
> encryption with GEOM ELI. Everything seems to be working fine now,
> except that the keyboard does not seem to work in kernel space so that
> when my USB boot stick asks me for the passphrase of my internal hard
> drive, I cannot enter anything. I know this is not specific to GEOM ELI,
> since I was messing around with my USB pendrive and forgot to specify a
> root device, which the kernel prompted me for the root device and I had
> exactly the same problem: the keyboard did not work.
>
> When I change the root device to my pen drive it boots to the login
> prompt (user space), and the keyboard works fine at that moment.
>
> Is this problem familiar to anybody? Is there any way to solve it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sebastiaan

Anders.