FreeBSD 6.1 on the ThinkPad X60s

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Tue May 9 19:07:04 UTC 2006

Forgot to Reply-all...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 6.1 on the ThinkPad X60s
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 19:50:04 +0100
From: James O'Gorman <james at netinertia.co.uk>
To: Chris Howells <howells at kde.org>

Chris Howells wrote:
> James O'Gorman wrote:
>
>> I just got my ThinkPad X60s (model 17045LG) and thought I'd post my
>> results so people know what works and what doesn't.
>
> Thanks for the post; I'm currently running Linux on mine, mainly due to
> the lack of wireless.

Does the wireless work under Linux then? I was thinking about trying the
Ubuntu live CD to see.

>> * Dual-core CPU
>
> Does CPU speed scaling work with both cores?

How do you check that? (This is my first non-Mac laptop...)

> Also, does sound work?

I've just got GNOME installed and I can't get esd to run at all, so I'm
guessing not. I've tried kldloading every sound module there is! Unless
it needs one that isn't built by default...

>> It only works with >6.0 though. I tried installing 6.0-RELEASE and
>> sysinstall couldn't even see the hard disk. 6.1-RC2 had no problem
>> though.
>
> I guess the SATA controller is quite new.

Looks that way.

>> Wireless does not, of course, work, as it's the Intel 3945ABG chip.
>> Can't even get it working using if_ndis at the moment :-(
>
> Annoying. I might have a go myself. Have you got it switched on with the
> switch underneath?

Definitely ;-) I've been flipping between Windows and FreeBSD and the
wireless is fine in XP.

>> Not sure about bluetooth at the moment as I've never actually set it up
>> in FreeBSD before anyway, so I might play with that.
>
> The Bluetooth is simply attached to USB bus (universal serial bus bus?),
> so it should work the same as pretty much any USB bluetooth device.

I'll try and have a play with it later, but for now, the light under the
screen is off for both wireless and Bluetooth...

James