FreeBSD 6.1 on the ThinkPad X60s

Chris Howells howells at kde.org
Tue May 9 18:28:15 UTC 2006

James O'Gorman wrote:

> I just got my ThinkPad X60s (model 17045LG) and thought I'd post my
> results so people know what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the post; I'm currently running Linux on mine, mainly due to
the lack of wireless.

> * Dual-core CPU

Does CPU speed scaling work with both cores?

Also, does sound work?

> It only works with >6.0 though. I tried installing 6.0-RELEASE and
> sysinstall couldn't even see the hard disk. 6.1-RC2 had no problem though.

I guess the SATA controller is quite new.

> Wireless does not, of course, work, as it's the Intel 3945ABG chip.
> Can't even get it working using if_ndis at the moment :-(

Annoying. I might have a go myself. Have you got it switched on with the
switch underneath?

> Not sure about bluetooth at the moment as I've never actually set it up
> in FreeBSD before anyway, so I might play with that.

The Bluetooth is simply attached to USB bus (universal serial bus bus?),
so it should work the same as pretty much any USB bluetooth device.

> It also crashes when you try and suspend. Well, suspend works, but when
> you come out of suspend everything goes boom.

Unfortunately Linux is no better in this respect.

> The system speaker is also stupidly loud by default. Enabling
> acpi_ibm_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf gives access to the
> dev.acpi_ibm.* sysctls, so you can sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume=1 :-)

Useful to know.