Thinkpad X24 and battery

Karsten Rothemund karsten at photor.de
Thu May 4 19:03:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 08:53:30PM +0200, Frank Altpeter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Karsten Rothemund wrote on 2006-05-04 at 20:43:11 CEST:
> > And up to now there has nothing changed; the battery is still so low
> > that the machine only starts with the power plugged in. To me it looks
> > like, the battery is dead.
> >
> > Or - and that is why I ask here - is there a problem with the X24 and
> > power management (AKA charging the battery)?
> >
> > Thank you for your help. May be some questions come later,
> AFAIK there is no way controlling the battery charge process, so i assume
> that your idea about the dead battery seems correct.
> If it doesn't sound reasonable enough, i suggest going into the BIOS and
> leave the notebook plugged for about an hour to see if it loads the
> battery then. Another idea would be to directly plug the power into the
> notebook, it could also be that the docking station is b0rked.

That's what I do at the moment. Same idea ;-)

> You also can sysctl the status via hw.acpi.battery, which should bring
> something like that when plugged to power:
>
> hw.acpi.battery.life: 94
> hw.acpi.battery.time: -1	(it's always -1 when on AC)
> hw.acpi.battery.state: 2	(1 when on batt, 2 when loading)
> hw.acpi.battery.units: 1

Yes and no. At the moment, disabled ACPI. But when I tried out
FreeSBIE it ran using ACPI. But I got strange output from that saying
nothing (a lot of "0" and "-1"). Especially the .life variable. :-/

That's why I thought I should try without ACPI.

CU,

Karsten

--

Karsten Rothemund <karsten at photor.de>     /"\
PGP-Key:     0x7019CAA5                   \ /