Sony DSC, but no da* device?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Mar 20 06:25:42 UTC 2006

In message: <200603121538.42227.mistry.7 at osu.edu>
            Anish Mistry <mistry.7 at osu.edu> writes:
: On Sunday 12 March 2006 15:25, Brian Reichert wrote:
: > On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 04:30:54PM -0500, Anish Mistry wrote:
: > > On Saturday 04 March 2006 17:46, Brian Reichert wrote:
: > > > Instead, I only see the umass0 entry, and if I unplug this USB
: > > > device, my kernel panics.
: > > >
: > > >   Mar  4 17:28:42 chew kernel: ugen0: detached
: > > >   Mar  4 17:34:39 chew kernel: umass0: Sony Sony DSC, rev
: > > > 2.00/6.00, addr 2
: > > >
: > > > I'm running FreeBSD 6.0, and the device in question is a Sony
: > > > DSC-T9 digital camera.
: > >
: > > My Sony DSC camera works fine on -CURRENT.  I believe the patches
: > > have been merged back and will appear in 6.1.  There should be a
: > > patch in the USB archives that will get you up an running on 6.0.
: >
: > Hmm.  I just today cvsup'ed kernel source for 6.1-PRERELEASE, and
: > applied the patch referred to in usb/84608.  Also, as reported in
: > a thread about this PR, only chunk #3 applied cleanly.
: >
: > The installation of the new kernel however does not yeild a change
: > in symptoms.  I still only get a umass device, but no SCSI device.
: > :/
: Hmmm...I don't know anything else to try.  Before the umass worked
: with my camera, I just put the camera in PTP mode and used gphoto2 on
: the ugen device and that worked.  It wasn't as convenient as a mass
: storage device.

I've had good luck with my camera when the usb stack has had issues
simply doing 'camcontrol rescan all' after plugging the camera in.

Warner