if_ath raw 802.11 packet injection patch when in monitor mode

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sat Jun 24 15:31:42 UTC 2006

Andrea Bittau wrote:
> I think it would be useful to have 802.11 packet injection support in the
> mainstream driver.  This would allow people, amongst other things, to run
> user-land access points and clients.  Below is a crude patch for doing so.  The
> only problem is that ACKs are not sent in time.  I know a fix, but it's a bit of
> a hack and a better solution is needed.  I've tried contacting Sam but failed
> [e-mail bounced].  Hopefully he will see this, and if he's interested, I could
> make the patch better.

	<...patch removed...>

Thanks for the contribution.  Sending packets in monitor mode is a
mistake; you should use adhoc demo mode.  Future versions of the hal are
likely to disallow packet transmission.

I've had changes to send 802.11 frames via bpf for a long time (12+
months).  They go through the net80211 layer and are device independent.
 I'll try to clean 'em up so you can try them.

	Sam