PCMCIA on a Toshiba 430CDT

Dr. Gary E. RAFE drgerlists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 15:11:14 UTC 2006

"Mr. M" <oedipus at gmail.com> wrote:
!Hello! I've recently acquired an old Toshiba 430CDT laptop (pentium 120,
!32mb ram, 1.2gb hdd) with 16-bit pcmcia slots. I've loaded FreeBSD 6.1 on it
!and bought a wireless card (Netgear MA301) . However, after putting in the
!card, I realized that FreeBSD did not even see the slots (nothing in dmesg).
!I've tried googling and searching through the mailing list archives but I
!couldn't really find any similar situations. I'd post a dmesg for you guys
!but the machine has no network connectivity and says nothing about pcmcia/pc
!cards anyways. Please let me know if you have a solution or a tip. I would
!love to have a laptop running FreeBSD, now matter how old. Thanks!

I'm not expert on the matter,
but I did once own that vintage Toshiba notebooks
(Satellite 220, 330) running pre-5 releases.
The 330 is now owned by a friend who is running a 4.x
release on it and uses 16-bit PCCARDs without problem.
Perhaps you might give 4.11-RELEASE a try on that
old Toshiba, or have a look at the OLDCARD kernel
of 5.5-RELEASE.
--
Dr Gary E RAFE: drgerlists at gmail dot com