ThinkPad - UltraBay battery magic

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Mon Jun 19 20:18:08 UTC 2006

On 19 Jun 2006 at 14:59, Marko Zec wrote:

> > > This is sounding just a bit familiar. Do you actually have a floppy
> > > drive? If so, try putting a disk into it. If not, try building a kernel
> > > without the floppy and see if that behaves.
> >
> > There is no floppy in this laptop (IBM ThinkPad T41); I have one, but
> > it is external, connected via USD, and has not been attached during
> > these tests.
> >
> > I created a kernel without fd, based on GENERIC:
> >
> > $ diff GENERIC LAPTOPGENNOFD1
> > 25c25
> > < ident         GENERIC
> > ---
> >
> > > ident         LAPTOPGEN
> >
> > 159c159
> > < #device               apm
> > ---
> >
> > > device                apm
> >
> > In short, I changed the ident, and added apm.
> >
> > This kernel boots if the CDRW is installed.  Without it, the systems
> > boots and then freezes at the login prompt.  I have no idea why.  The
> > freeze occurs with or without the second battery.  With the CDRW
> > installed, all is well.
> >
> > > There have been several similar reports. You might want to look at the
> > > archives.
> >
> > I didn't find anything that gave me a lead to follow.
>
> Try booting in windows and using the "ps2" command-line configuration utility
> to disable the secondary IDE channel in BIOS.  This recently saved my
> ThinkPad X32 from becoming a wrack after I went completely nuts with exactly
> the same symptoms as you observed: the machine would lock hard if booted with
> APM and without the CDRW installed.  I observed this issue only in 6.1;  4.11
> works flawlessly out of the box with APM / without CDROM.
>
> Hope this helps,

SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!

Yes.  That allowed me to boot with the 2nd battery installed.

I'll try adding fd back into the kernel and try going back to my
original kernel, but we have definite progress.

Thank you.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php