ThinkPad - UltraBay battery magic

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Jun 17 23:55:04 UTC 2006

> When installing a 2nd battery (i.e in the UltraBay after removing the
> CD drive) in a ThinkPad, I think there's some magic you must invoke
> to get the system to notice the additional power resource.
>
> Any ideas?

The code to allow ACPI to add batteries has yet to be written (or committed,
at least). If the system is booted with 2two batteries, both will be seen.
Even it one is removed and then returned, it will be seen. But if a system is
booted with a single battery, ACPI will not ever see the second battery.

Please note that the second battery WILL be seen by the hardware and both
charged and used.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)