Dell laptops

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Jul 11 17:36:14 UTC 2006

On 07/11/06 11:47, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> What are the current problems, if any, on current Dell laptops have
> with FreeBSD?

I hope that the question is a sign that possible fixes would be on the
horizon. :)

I have a Latitude D820 (Dual Core) (and have used a D810, D610, D600
with FreeBSD also), and most things work, except suspend to ram (S3)
which Nate Lawson is looking into a bit (we've sent him a D610 to work
with for debugging) - currently, I can suspend, but resume causes an
instant reboot.

Also, the high-definition audio does not work.  I'd *love* to get this
working, and even looked into trying to port the azalia driver from netbsd.

As another poster mentioned, the extra buttons and FN buttons don't seem
to work, and there may be some acpi_video tweaks that need to happen to
make the external vga/lcd screen swapping happen like it should.

I can provide lots of details if needed, and am willing to debug.  We
typically have spare Dell Latitude laptops for use in testing also.

Eric