ATI + DRI + Suspend/Resume [was: t41 zzz]

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Tue Jan 24 05:12:08 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:26:48PM +0100, Tobias Roth wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:01:12PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> >
> > this was fixed, thanks to tobias roth, by removing
> > dri from /etc/XF86Config
>
> worked around I'd rather say.
>
> So, the question remains:
>
> Are ATI Cards and DRI usable, when at the same time requiring
> a working suspend/resume capability?

There is a need to not only put the video device to a lower power mode,
but to restore the different states of the video card, so I think no.

> Does anyone know whether the lunux people maybe have found a
> fix?

There is a support available using the radeon frame buffer but
for powerpc achitecture.  This was written by ATI people.

Some people reported this worked for their i386 based
laptops after hacking a little the radeon frame buffer, but
other reported the oposite.  I don't know why it failed for some with
the same kind of video chip.  It maybe a problem with the northbridge,
but I have no real evidence for this claim, only a rough guess.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.