[SOLVED] APM with Xorg on 5.4-R; Compaq Armada 1500c

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Feb 22 11:03:00 PST 2006

Replying to the same message again, but with better news this time :)

Sufficiently desperate googling and browsing of the FLCL through various
later-model Compaq laptops led me to:

http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/index.pl?action=show_laptop_detail&laptop=637

which states simply:

- options SC_NO_SUSPEND_VTYSWITCH is needed for suspend/resume from X.

which fixes my problem, through quite a bit of testing since building
the kernel (though I did add APM and VESA to it also, if it matters).

Wonder if this might help your problem too?  I only found out later that
this was documented in syscons(4) in '03, and you can set it by sysctl
.. ah well, it was good to build its first 2MB-leaner kernel anyway.

Still issues suspending / resuming with a mounted a) external USB HD
with an msdosfs, b) floppy disk (also msdosfs) and perhaps c) a CDROM,
in that mounted fs - still reported as such by mount - is not 'there',
attempts to umount it fail, and umount -f panics! but meanwhile I just
Won't Do That .. the basic system I need to use seems otherwise solid.

Thanks again for the encouragement given by your response,

cheers, Ian