APM with Xorg on 5.4-R; Compaq Armada 1500c

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Feb 20 06:16:18 PST 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Norberto Meijome wrote:
 > Ian Smith wrote:
[..]
 > > APM has worked rock-solid here for 3+ years; living on solar power means
 > > depending on being able to hit the suspend button anytime, off or on, and
 > > having it nod off readily and safely while on battery in the field.  I
 > > usually run many-month uptimes, perhaps restarting kde on XF86 monthly,
 > > every day suspending/resuming several times, logging battery states ..
 > >
 > > But APM on 5.4-R - which after loading apm + apmd worked out of the box on
 > > vtys - while using Xorg (6.8.2) fails to suspend | resume cleanly: suspend
 > > can take half to one minute to poweroff (no disk activity), and it always
 > > locks right up on resume; X screen intact but kbd (except BIOS keys) and
 > > mouse gone, speaker stuck on a high tone even trying to blind switch to a
 > > vty to reboot cleanly; way too flakey to consider for workaday use.

 > FWIW, i have similar problems with APM (ACPI is a dud on my laptop :( ).
 > Toshiba Tecra A2, latest Xorg, FBSD 6.1 prerel-#1
 > Works ok if suspending from syscon, but via X it just locks up and goes
 > on with a beeeeppppp (doesnt even suspend). the worst part is when I'm
 > running out of battery and working in X...it tries to go  to sleep and
 > just dies on me. not happy jen. :)

Mmm, first noticed here was failure to suspend on low battery, after a
couple of hours starting to setup KDE, assuming suspend was working ok!

 > I sent more info on this issue on this post:
 > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=47971+52883+/usr/local/www/db/text/2006/freebsd-mobile/20060219.freebsd-mobile

Thanks Beto.  BTW attachments mentioned didn't make it to the archive.

 > not sure where to go from here.

Me neither.  I can hang around hoping someone will take pity and drop a
clue :) or swap drives again and keep trying (off net) for another day
or so .. perhaps APM might work better in kernel, lots of things to try!

I'd try ACPI next but I'm none too confident on form, and have yet to
find replacements for apmd.conf battery functionality etc but expect I
could eventually script something around sysctls, after climbing more
learning curve.  Not really what I have spare time for just now.

.. but I need this laptop working again soon!  Likely 4.11 will work ok
on it, though I was feeling quite enthusiastic about 5.4 before this ..
maybe I'll try checking CVS for any APM-related stuff in 5-STABLE first.

Cheers, Ian