FreeBSD 5.4 and PCMCIA drivers

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Feb 20 00:41:37 PST 2006

In message: <02a301c633a0$f9a5bb90$0201a8c0 at stazione>
            "Lila" <liladude at aruba.it> writes:
: Hello everybody!
: I have just managed to install FreeBSd 5.4 on my Omnibook 900 laptop (well..
: I think I need to tune it a bit, but as my first FreeBSD installation it's
: working better than I suposed).
: My problem is with my ethernet pc-card: cardbus recognize it (I have a
: prompt and it blinks once) but cannot find proper drivers.
: Actually my card (Net-Easy  DRP-32TXD) is supported by PCMCIA drivers fro
: linux (http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/) but is not listed in the
: pccard.conf file of FreeBSD. This is why I am planning to compile the PCMCIA
: drivers, but I'm worried about having it conflicting with cardbus and I'm
: not sure that drivers intended for Linux can run on FreeBSD as most
: application do, so I was wondering if anybody tried something similar or can
: give me any suggestion.
: My experience on FreeBSD is limited to compile applications on a jail, never
: had anything to do with kernel and drivers before, so I beg you pardon if my
: problem is somehow stupid or off topic.

It should be supported.  Can you send me a dmesg?  It would be better
if you added

hw.pccard.debug=1
hw.pccard.cis_debug=1
hw.cardbus.debug=1
hw.cardbus.cis_debug=1

to /boot/loader.conf.  This should enable us to tell you if it is
supported.  Chances are excellent that support already exists for this
device and only minor changes are needed for you to use it.

Warner