iwi failing after portupgrade

Gregers Petersen gp.ioa at cbs.dk
Sat Feb 18 09:53:54 PST 2006

David Reid wrote:
> Did a portupgrade last night and now my iwi card works only
> intermittently, if at all. Error log shows a LOT of
>
> "unknown notification type 15"
>
> The card had been working fine for the last 3 months until the
> portupgrade decided to update the iwi-firmware. Any ideas?

The notification you mentions has had quite a bit of attention on the 'iwi'
homesite discussionforum - it seems to be a problem in relationship with the
porting onto the FreeBSD platform .. supposedly the most recent iwi-firmware
edition should have taken care of the problem.
I had until a few days ago the same notifications - but then I re-compiled my
system and kernel from 6-Release to 6-Stable (6.1 Prerelease #2 of the 14. of
February) + included the iwi-module with the most recent firmware in the kernel.
The 'Type 15' has dissapered and the whole setup is 100% stable ... it is my
impression that if you load 'iwi' as a module things are less stable (especially
when it comes to initial connection with an AP) - but this is not scientifically
proven, just a personal subjective experience :-)

Gregers Petersen