Acer Aspire WLMi 5102 with AMD Turion 64 X2 system hanging with powerd on 6.2-RC1 and 6.2-PRERELEASE

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 07:26:37 PST 2006

On 12/20/06, Abdullah Al-Marrie <almarrie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I have problem with my laptop Acer Aspire 5102 WLMi which has AMD
> Turion™ 64 X2 dual-core TL-50 1.6 GHz with 1.5 GB of ram.
>
> I'm running i386 6.2-RC1 upgraded to 6.2-PRELEASE via RELENG6 tag
> since I don't have more than 4 GB of ram.
>
> I have these lines add to my custom generic kernel
> options         SMP
> device          cpufreq
> device          smbus
>
> I have this in my rc.conf
> powerd_enable="YES"
>
> But the the laptop even doesn't boot some times,  and if booted it
> hangs all the time, till I hashed out powerd_enable="YES"
>
> hints?

Had the same problem where powerd would hang my HP Pavilion dv8000
system.  I worked arround the problem by using the following in
rc.conf:

powerd_enable="YES"
powerd_flags="-a maximum -b maximum"

Of course this makes powered do nothing when on battery.  What I think
is happening is that powered is too aggressive in downgrading the
clock speed, that it eventually sets the clock to a value that is so
low that the system stops responding.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.