IBM T30 and suspend/resume capability

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Aug 24 15:58:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Greg Troxel wrote:

 > I have a T30 (which has just suffered a video failure after good
 > service for 3.5 years).  I have run NetBSD, rather than FreeBSD, but I
 > suspect things will be similar.  I used apm, not acpi, and was able to
 > suspend for a long time, but then I had trouble.

May I ask, what trouble?

 >  I set up hibernation
 > (create hidden FAT32 and use tphdisk to write a save2disk.bin that's
 > bigger than ram+video+sum), and then Fn-F12 would write ram to disk
 > and power off.  I suspect this is even better than suspend for your
 > application; startup time is < 30s.

I can suspend to disk (Fn-sleepbutton, so via BIOS, to a preallocated
file on 'C:') on the Armada 1500c, and sometimes do to preserve state
over a few days, but suspend to RAM is very much faster, startup < 10s
even with a Celeron 300 (albeit only 160MB RAM).  Also, suspend to disk
on hitting critical battery low can be a bit hit or miss.

 > I never tried acpi.

I don't mind if only APM works, if it does, but finer power control
would be nice (again towards running on battery for lengthy periods),
with quite a few browser windows, edit and console sessions on the go,
very seldom rebooting.

 > The T30 is a bit chunkier and heavier than other T series, but overall
 > I was happy with it.

Thanks,

Ian