IBM T30 and suspend/resume capability

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Aug 24 12:29:31 UTC 2006

I have a T30 (which has just suffered a video failure after good
service for 3.5 years).  I have run NetBSD, rather than FreeBSD, but I
suspect things will be similar.  I used apm, not acpi, and was able to
suspend for a long time, but then I had trouble.  I set up hibernation
(create hidden FAT32 and use tphdisk to write a save2disk.bin that's
bigger than ram+video+sum), and then Fn-F12 would write ram to disk
and power off.  I suspect this is even better than suspend for your
application; startup time is < 30s.

I never tried acpi.

The T30 is a bit chunkier and heavier than other T series, but overall
I was happy with it.

--
    Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>