ifconfig wepkey on 6.0

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Apr 3 00:39:47 UTC 2006

> Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:45:49 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "kalin mintchev" <kalin at el.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>

> hi..  i'm trying again to make my wepkey work..
>
> i load manually wlan_wep. then do this in order:
> ifconfig wi0 ssid here-and-now channel 6
> ifocnfig wi0 wepmode on
> ifconfig wi0 wepkey 1:0x7924092374273503745WEPKEYSTUFF
> dhclient wi0
>
> using bind dhclient
>
> i get:
> wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0002; event status 0x8008
> wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x8008
> etc.. then it says that the network is down and the wi0 status is changed
> to DOWN..
>
> i'm really in need to fix this here as i'm on a convention that uses 128
> bit key and i cant get a connection... and i need it badly..

You have one extra and one missing item.

When attaching to SSID, you should not be specifying a channel. In BSS
mode, the card will scan for the desired SSID and associate on that
channel. But the man page says that channel is ignored in BSS mode, so
this is probably not really your problem.

The main problem is that you are not telling the interface which WEP key
to use. You need to add "weptxkey 1". Without this statement, the
wireless will never associate with a WEP encrypted WAP.

My WEP based system is set up as:
wepkey 1:0xMY_KEY ssid MYSSID weptxkey 1 wepmode on
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)