swapping wireless NICs

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Sep 21 09:56:35 PDT 2005

> From: "Dan Langille" <dan at langille.org>
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:35:40 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On 21 Sep 2005 at 15:15, Marcin Jessa wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:58:11 +0200
> > "anon anon" <anonymous_messiah at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Im currently looking to purchase a wireless card, preferably mini-pci for my
> > > thinkpad R40.  Are there any well supported mpi/pcmcia cards for fbsd.
> > > Please don_t mention the cisco mpi350 as this card has not worked for me
> > > since 4.10.   This card only works for about 5 minutes or until it is placed
> > > under reasonable load.  It then timeouts and cannot be brought up unless the
> > > system is power cycled.  And yes, I have downgraded the firmware to 5.00.1
> > > or whatever it is numerous times.  I need a card that is known to work
> > > without problems under 5.x.
> >
> > Use an Atheros based card.
>
> This brings up something I have been thinking about.  Someone
> mentioned that the ipw problems I've been having on my T41 could be
> resolved by changing ton an Atheros based NIC.
>
> Question: have you replaced your wireless NIC?  On my T41 it is
> internal. I'm told it's a matter of replacing it.  I understand, but
> haven't looked into buying an Atheros NIC and putting it in my
> Thinkpad, but seeing as I'm going to be in the US next week, I might
> just pick one up while I'm there.
>
> Comments please.

The physical swap is pretty easy. Just open the access door in the bottom
of the unit, unplug the antenna wires and pop out the mini-PCI
card. Then reverse to add the new card.

In the past, ThinkPads have BIOS set to refuse to allow the system to
boot if any mini-PCI card not of a type sold by IBM was seen. I don't
know if the T43 still does this, but you can deal with this in a couple
of ways:
1. Get the Cisco card that Lenovo sells
2. Hack BIOS to not get upset about it. I've seen articles on this and I
   suspect that you can Google for it. (I don't take any responsibility
   for dead systems if you muck with the BIOS, though. Take care!)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)