wireless card recommendation for laptop

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Wed Sep 21 09:21:54 PDT 2005

On September 21, 2005 07:55 am, Brad Schonhorst wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2005, at 9:15 AM, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:58:11 +0200
> > "anon anon" <anonymous_messiah at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Im currently looking to purchase a wireless card, preferably mini-
> >> pci for my thinkpad R40.  Are there any well supported mpi/pcmcia
> >> cards for fbsd.

> >> Please don_t mention the cisco mpi350 as this card has not worked
> >> for me since 4.10.   This card only works for about 5 minutes or
> >> until it is placed under reasonable load.  It then timeouts and
> >> cannot be brought up unless the system is power cycled.  And yes, I
> >> have downgraded the firmware to 5.00.1 or whatever it is numerous
> >> times.  I need a card that is known to  work without problems under
> >> 5.x.

> > Use an Atheros based card.

> Just be prepared to run FreeBSD 6.  In my experience, Atheros support
> in 5.x is not good.  Much work has been put into the ath driver since
> then.

While 6.0 has the best wireless support, especially for Atheros, 5.3 and
5.4 work nicely with most Atheros cards.  Just not the new AR5213
chips.

I've used a D-LINK DWL-G650 rev. B, NetGEAR WG511T (both CardBus), and
the built-in mini-PCI AR5212 in a Toshiba Satellite A60 laptop quite
successfully with 5.2.1, 5.3, and 5.4.  Using WEP and WPA-PSK.
--
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net