swapping wireless NICs

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Sep 21 06:41:47 PDT 2005

Dan Langille wrote:

>On 21 Sep 2005 at 15:15, Marcin Jessa wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:58:11 +0200
>>"anon anon" <anonymous_messiah at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Im currently looking to purchase a wireless card, preferably mini-pci for my
>>>thinkpad R40.  Are there any well supported mpi/pcmcia cards for fbsd.
>>>Please don_t mention the cisco mpi350 as this card has not worked for me
>>>since 4.10.   This card only works for about 5 minutes or until it is placed
>>>under reasonable load.  It then timeouts and cannot be brought up unless the
>>>system is power cycled.  And yes, I have downgraded the firmware to 5.00.1
>>>or whatever it is numerous times.  I need a card that is known to work
>>>without problems under 5.x.
>>>

>>Use an Atheros based card.
>>

>This brings up something I have been thinking about.  Someone
>mentioned that the ipw problems I've been having on my T41 could be
>resolved by changing ton an Atheros based NIC.
>
>Question: have you replaced your wireless NIC?

No.

>On my T41 it is
>internal. I'm told it's a matter of replacing it.  I understand, but
>haven't looked into buying an Atheros NIC and putting it in my
>Thinkpad, but seeing as I'm going to be in the US next week, I might
>just pick one up while I'm there.

I assume one must buy the Mini-PCI version of the card, to be able to
replace an internal wireless NIC.
I think you also need to "hack" the IBM BIOS to accept the "alien" card...

I think I've read a feature in the German "c't" about how to do the
former (changing the wireless NIC), including pictures. But that was
some time ago.
I don't know if it is even possible in current Notebook-models.

Rainer