Toshiba ToPIC95B not working on 6.0-BETA4

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Tue Sep 13 07:35:05 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 11:53, Niels Heinen wrote:
> I recently received a Toshiba 460CDT and am trying to get
> the most out of it. Its an old device but should still be
> usable. Unfortunately I can't get PCMCIA to work.
>
> In the BIOS you can configure the 'PC Card controller mode'. When I
> set it to PCIC compatible, I see nothing in the dmesg.  When I set
> it to CardBus/16-but I see that the slots are detected.
>
> However, whenever I insert a PCMCIA device, like my Prims/2 based
> NIC, which works fine in my other FreeBSD devices, I get:
>
> CIS is too long -- truncating
> pccard0: Card has no functions!
> cbb0: PC Card card activation failed
>
> This must be a bug.. maybe its in the Toshiba ToPIC95B support ?

I used to have a 480CDT which has the same controller. Support for it
has always been troublesome, but I think it works in FreeBSD 5.x.
Otherwise PCIC mode should work, but then you need the OLDCARD kernel
and I'm not sure if FreeBSD 6 still has that. Try compiling a kernel
without

device cbb
device pccard
device cardbus

and instead use

device card
device pcic

You also need to add 'pccard_enable="YES"' to /etc/rc.conf and since
you're using a NIC you also have to setup 'pccard_ifconfig'.