Suspend drains battery on IBM T42

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Fri Oct 14 09:34:21 PDT 2005

On 14 Oct 2005 at 10:23, Barkley Vowk wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 01:02 +0000, Eric Kjeldergaard wrote:
> >> you may want to check out radeontool
> >> http://www.init-main.com/radeontoolport.tar.gz .  Another common user
> >> of power in suspended laptops seems to be USB not shutting down.  Good
> >> luck with your troubles,
>
> > Good way to check whether USB is the culprit is to use something like
> > USB-powered reading light and suspend. On mine (Averatec 3150H) it stays
> > on, even when machine seem to go to sleep. I don't have solution for
> > this though...
>
> Ok, the dpms patch got me to about 12 hours of life, if I used radeon
> tool to turn it all off, I get about 16 hours. Which is a *HUGE*
> improvement, and I'm very happy with that. My radeon chipset is still
>   warm in suspend mode (I pulled the keyboard off and hooked a thermal
> probe up to it) I don't know if anyone else has noticed that.

How it it you're measuring this time period?  I'm guessing you're not
standing there watching for the lights to fade out.

> However, I've got the USB problem listed above as well. I'd really like to
> solve that, I expect it would boost my suspend time up to APM times.

Have you tried the suspend to disk?  That's what Windows calls
hibernation.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/