Presario R3120US Nits

george+freebsd at m5p.com george+freebsd at m5p.com
Fri Oct 7 14:51:14 PDT 2005

Compaq Presario R3120US

Some machines in the R3000 are AMD64s, but this one is not.  sysctl hw.model
reports AMD Athlon (tm) Processor 3000+.

1. I can boot from a FreeBSD 5.4 CD-ROM if I set hint.atkbd.0.flags="8",
but if I don't also disable ACPI, the keyboard is non-fuctional when I get
to the sysinstall screen, including CTRL-ALT-DEL.  Has anyone gotten ACPI
to work on this machine?  It looks like it might function, aside from
locking up the keyboard.  (Interestingly, it DOES respond when I push
the power button to turn the machine off.)

(Booting with 6.0-BETA5 works better; the keyboard does not lock up with
ACPI enabled.  But I do get these messages:

acpi0: reservation of 62, 2 (4) failed
acpi0: reservation of 65, b (4) failed

acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
acpi-TZ0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (200.0C)

.. and others indicating other stuff works.  Is there some way to back
port something from 6.0 to 5.4?)

2. Is there any way to get the winmodem working?  ltmdm does not do the
job.

3. Has anyone gotten the NVidia closed source driver working with the
display?  The open source driver works, but leaves the console mode
screen non-usable (rapidly rolling) when you exit from X Windows.  Using
the closed source driver from the ports collection gets me a black screen
and nothing else.

4. /dev/usb0 runs the two USB ports on the left side of the machine and
/dev/usb1 runs the single USB port on the right side.  If I start up the
machine with devices plugged into the right side, FreeBSD finds them
right off the bat, but on the left side, they remain invisible forever
until they are detached and reattached, at which point they work perfectly.
Both usb0 and usb1 claim to be ohci nVidia nForce3 USB Controllers; does
anyone know why they work differently?

(Booting with 6.0-BETA5 not only fixes this glitch but also finds a USB
2.0 controller which does not even seem to have an external connector!)

5. How about that Broadcom wireless Ethernet controller?  I think I'm
following the ndis instructions correctly, but to no avail -- it does
not find the chip.                               -- George Mitchell