wpa_supplicant and WEP....

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sat Oct 1 07:00:05 PDT 2005

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 21:07 -0500, Eric Schuele wrote:
>

>>Ah... hex *keys*... plural!!  I should use all 4 of them?  I had been
>>using just the one declared as the default key to tx.  I have attached a
>>screenshot of what a linksys does when you setup WEP.  Give it a
>>cleartext passphrase and it generates 4 hex keys.  On some systems you
>>can enter the passphrase... others I've had to enter the 'default' key.
>>Never thought to try all four keys at once.  Is that what you think I
>>should do?
>>

>>>How are you entering
>>>your hex keys?  The examples are a bit unclear, but digging around in
>>>the code it looks like unquoted strings are assumed to be hex strings.
>>>They should not be prefixed by 0x.
>>
>>I'll try them in the above format (I was prefixing with 0x).  I'm not in
>>the office but will try my home AP.... BRB....
>>
>>Whoa!!!  That's IT!!!
>>Am I the only person who couldn't figure that out???
>>You must use all 4 hex keys and specify which is the default.
>>

> No, you don't -- at least on -CURRENT of week or two ago following
> wpa_supplicant.conf works quite well:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>
> network={
>   ssid="SillySSID"
>   scan_ssid=1
>   priority=5
>   key_mgmt=NONE
>   wep_key0=0123456789abcdef0123456789
>   wep_tx_keyidx=0
> }

Yes... you are correct.  One is sufficient.  I got a little over zealous
when entering keys.

I simply must have had the format of the hex keys incorrect all this
time.  I must say, I have been trying to get WEP to work for an
embarrisingly long time.  WPA-PSK and open networks gave me no trouble
though.  But I tried for the longest time to get WEP going because thats
how I had things setup from 5.x (since WPA was not supported) and I
thought it would be easiest to just turn wpa_supplicant on without
changing the wLAN.

Anyways....  Thank you very much to all.

--
Regards,
Eric