Freebsd 6.0 on Acer Travelmate 8000 series

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Tue Nov 29 10:58:34 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 02:58:15PM +0100, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi, Marco,
>
> > ACPI should work well though it may require a little DSDT modification
> > > due to some bugs in the BIOS (AFAIU).
> >
> > sorry but can you specify why should i need to modify these settings, and
> > what kind of bugs is there in the BIOS (if you know this)?
> > Do you know if this is a freeBSD-related problem? With Linux i didn't have
> > any sort of problem using ACPI (the only modification i've done to normal
> > use and install is to have used a nolapic option at boot time).
>
> The problem I have been faced with can be seen here :
>     http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-May/050282.html
>
> The ASL dump of the DSDT is obtained with acpidump(8).
>
> Once you have the patched DSDT, you may want to load it automatically
> at boot time.  Put it in /boot/DSDT.aml and then add this to
> loader.conf(5) :
> % acpi_dsdt_load="YES"
> % acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/DSDT.aml"
>
> I hope this will help.
>
> I don't know if this problem is FreeBSD-specific.  I have an Acer laptop
> too but not the same model as yours, so you may simply not encounter
> this very problem actually.

It's a BIOS bug on some Acer laptops, after adding control methods
batteries that were not present on earlier release of their BIOS.

They used before the smart battery specification, but that support was not
present under FreeBSD at that time (this support is now present in
RELENG_6 now).

Unfortunately, Acer did it wrong with the control methods stuff :(

Of course, the OP may be not touched by this at all.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.