WEP wi0 config prob after 5.4 > 6.0 Upgrade

Tom Pappano tp at tulsaelectronics.net
Tue Nov 22 19:17:35 GMT 2005

Greetings all,
I have broused various postings here, and tried several suggestions, but
no luck getting connection to properly start. Hardware and drivers seem
ok because
I can get it working with "manual" ifconfig commands. The goal here
is using WEP.

/boot/loader.conf contains:

if_wi0_load="YES"
wlan_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"

/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf contains:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ap_scan=1
network={
ssid="WAPX"
key_mgmt=NONE
scan_ssid=1
wep_key1=0123456789abcdef0123456789
wep_txidx=1
}

/etc/rc.conf contains:

wpa_supplicant="YES"
ifconfig_wi0="WPA DHCP"

As best as I have been able to figure out, the above should work.

Bootup gives repeated messages like:

DHCPREQUEST on wi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
"
DHCPDISCOVER on wi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
"
"
pretty much repeating endlessly.

ifconfig shows:

status: associated
ssid WAPX channel 3 bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
authmode WPA1+WPA2/802.11i privacy MIXED deftxkey 1 typowmax 100
roaming MANUAL bintval 100

The last two of the above lines seem wrong, and of course the DHCP
fails to get an ip address.

Any ideas on what probably stupid thing I am overlooking?

Thanks,
Tom in Tulsa