IBM T42 freezes when going to sleep under X11

Jacques Garrigue garrigue at math.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 14 18:25:06 PST 2005

Thanks for answerring.
(And thanks to Bakul too)

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>

> > From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue at math.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
> >
> > I've got a strange problem with my IBM T42 / Radeon M10 setup.
> >
> > When using the 6.0-RELEASE kernel (including GENERIC), I cannot go to
> > sleep when X11 is running: the machine freezes, display still on.

> First, you really want to install and use radeontool. It can properly
> turn off the Radeon display, backlight, and DAC which (as far as i know)
> xorg does not. It also does better than jhb's patch to acpi_video. (I
> suspect that the patch does not turn off the DAC.)

Is this connected with this supspend/resume problem?
I have not installed it yet.

> You need to add acpi_video_load="YES" and probably want to add
> vesa_load="YES" and acpi_ibm_load="YES", although those are probably not
> related to your current problem.
>
> You may also need to add hw.acpi.reset_video=0 and
> hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf.

I had already acpi_ibm.
I added acpi_video and acpi_vesa, with no visible improvement.
But hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1 made the trick.
At least it can now suspend... in most cases.
It still fails to do so in random cases, mostly when there is disk
activity.
And even if it suspends correctly, I must still switch to the console
and back by hand.

As I wrote in my first mail, what is really strange is that everything
works fine with a 6.0-RC1 kernel (without any special tuning!),
whereas the changes are supposed to be very limited. So there should
be a way to track down the problem...
In particular, I didn't need acpi_video at all.
My current solution is to keep an RC1 kernel, as there are no
incompatibilities for the time being.

Just in case, here are my loader.conf and sysctl.conf (working with RC1)

/boot/loader.conf:
acpi_ibm_load="YES"
if_ath_load="YES"
snd_ich_load="YES"