xircom network device problem

Martin Herrman martin at herrman.nl
Mon Nov 14 06:54:41 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and FreeBSD. I have been working with Linux for more
than 5 years. Now I want to learn more than Linux only, so I tried to
install FreeBSD on my old (but still working) Toshiba 320CDT laptop.

When I boot from the install-cd it shows a line like 'blabla xircom
nic/modem found blabla' and then hangs. I installed without the card
inserted. When booted I did a 'tail -f /var/log/message' and inserted the
card. The same line appears and again the system hangs. Even CTRL-ALT-DEL
is not working.

I found this:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=xe&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-RELEASE

which says:

"BUGS Supported devices will fail to attach on some machines using the
NEWCARD PC Card framework. Automatic media selection is usually
unreliable."

and:

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-mobile/2005-July/006781.html

says:

"No.  RELENG_6 still has the old code, while it is shaking out in
current.   I hope to MFC the current stuff soon."

this link:

http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/index.pl?action=show_laptop_detail&laptop=397

says that it should work with 5.4.

In the 6.0 release notes I found:

"Support for the OLDCARD subsystem has been removed. The NEWCARD system is
now used for all PCCARD device support."

So I cannot use OLDCARD because it is unavailable in 6.0. I cannot use
NEWCARD either, because it does not work correctly (see the message of
Warner).

Or is Warner's message already outdated and is there a way to get it
working? Or should I try CURRENT?

Hope anyone can help, much thanks in advance!

Martin