6.0RC1 - enabling synaptics touchpad freezes machine

Tom.Lislegaard at proact.no Tom.Lislegaard at proact.no
Wed Nov 9 04:36:04 PST 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Eric Schuele wrote:

> Tom.Lislegaard at proact.no wrote:
>>
>> I try to enable touchpad support on an Acer Travelmate 8104
>> by setting hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" in loader.conf.
>>

> I have a synaptics touchpad on a Dell Inspiron.  I've never used the above
> (and never had the problems you mention below)...
>
> I add
>  hint.psm.0.flags="0x1000"
> to my /boot/device.hints file to get it working.
>
> Might give it a try.  Presently running 6.0-STABLE as of this morning... but
> the above hint has been working since 5.x days.

I should have expressed myself better. The touchpad works with no special
settings, but only as a generic 2-button ps2 mouse. What I'm after is
"more buttons" and that should (in theory) be accomplished with the
synaptics_support setting.
Eric, could you try to set this variable and see if it works with your
hardware?

I'm no kernel hacker, but any advice on how to debug this would be
appreciated.

-tom