ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

Understudy list at understudy.net
Sun Nov 6 11:17:03 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have a IBM thinkpad A21m. On boot up I get this in the dmesg.
ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
acd0: DVDROM <HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-S200/0034> at ata1-master PIO4

I am running 5.4 STABLE

I have looked through Google and other lists and seen others who have
this problem but I have not found a solution. If someone could let me
know what the status is on this. If this has been posted as a bug report
I would love to see the thread if not I would like to put in a PR.

If there is already a solution I wouldn't mind being pointed in the
right direction.

Sincerely,
Brendhan