DWL-AG520 Version A1 11a Turbo broken?

Ryan McIntosh rmcintosh at nitemare.net
Mon May 23 01:58:38 PDT 2005

Well, I just pulled my pci card out of a 5.2.1-p6 FreeBSD machine for my home
network upgrades, and was trying to use my same setup in a 5.4-REL machine..
come to find out 11a turbo mode returns an error and apparently stops
broadcasting. To the interesting stuff:

[root at devcom]:~# ifconfig ath0 mode 11a mediaopt turbo mediaopt hostap ssid
20NNN up
ath0: unable to reset hardware; hal status 12
[root at devcom]:~# ifconfig ath0
ath0: flags=8903<UP,BROADCAST,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::205:5dff:fe99:e84d%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        ether 00:05:5d:99:e8:4d
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11a
<hostap,turbo>
        status: no carrier
        ssid 20NNN 1:20NNN
        channel 42 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS
        wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

I know _for sure_ this exact same command works perfectly on 5.2.1-p6, and
I've tried swapping between modes etc etc, but whenever I try to enable turbo
mode in 11a it returns that error.. Everything else works fine besides when
using turbo mode on  any 11a speed. Did something get changed? If you need
any further output to diagnose, please let me know, I'll getcha what you need
to see. Thanks in advance to anyone that helps.

Ryan McIntosh
rmcintosh at nitemare.net